Common Time 2019


Lower Muniment
The Founder's seal

The College Archives are a unique and important record of the history and the life of Winchester College from its foundation to the present day. The collection is remarkable for both its scope and excellent state of preservation. Most of the records now surviving were made and preserved in accordance with the explicit directions of the Founder's statutes.

The Archives contains an almost unbroken record of the management of the School and its estates from the foundation to the present day and are still stored in rooms in Muniment Tower at the south-east corner of Chamber Court designated for the purpose in the 1390s.

The collection includes: a register of Scholars from 1394, records relating to the foundation of the College, court books and court rolls of the College manors, registers of leases granted by the College, annual bursars' accounts from 1394, registers of Commoners from 1836, title deeds and estate accounts for the extensive College estates, and schoolboy letters and diaries from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

For more information about the archives, please refer to the published catalogue, Winchester College Muniments, A Descriptive List, (Ed) Sheila Himsworth, 3 volumes, Phillimore, 1976 and 1984.

The College Archives are open to researchers by appointment only. For any enquiries about the collection, the estates the College once owned, the history of the College or the boys who came here, please email Suzanne Foster, the College Archivist or apply in writing to Suzanne Foster at Winchester College, Winchester, SO23 9NA.

Some of the most frequently consulted items from the College Archives have been digitised and a new website created to allow researchers to access these records on-line. 
The digitised records so far consist of the following:

• Our published biographical registers of pupils, staff, wardens and fellows, the Winchester College Registers, 1836-1975
• The manuscript registers of scholars, 1393-1964
• Thomas Kirby's printed edition of Winchester Scholars, covering all scholars admitted from 1393 to 1887
• The War Service Rolls and Roll of Honours for WW1 and WW2
• The Wykehamist from 1866 to 1920
• Winchester College Muniments, the published catalogue for the College Archives pre c1870
• Photographs of the school, taken from glass slides and negatives, late 19th and early 20th century
The website is https://winchestercollegearchives.org/ and anyone wishing to use it should apply to the College Archivist for a log-on.

The Friends of Winchester College have produced a colour feature on the archives.

For more information about The Williams letters and the book The Speaker's Chaplain & The Master's Daughter, please follow this link.